Having fun with Meaningful Use - the Meaningful Yoose Rap
In order to receive Incentive Payments from CMS, Eligible Providers must meet the Meaningful Use Criteria. Here is some helpful Information.
The “Meaningful Use” Model – CMS Definition
By focusing on the effective use of EHRs with certain capabilities, the HITECH Act makes clear that the adoption of records is not a goal in itself: it is the use of EHRs to achieve health and efficiency goals that matters. HITECH’s incentives and assistance programs seek to improve the health of Americans and the performance of their health care system through “meaningful use” of EHRs to achieve five health care goals:
- To improve the quality, safety, and efficiency of care while reducing disparities
- To engage patients and families in their care
- To promote public and population health
- To improve care coordination
- To promote the privacy and security of EHRs
In the context of the EHR incentive programs, “demonstrating meaningful use” is the key to receiving the incentive payments. It means meeting a series of objectives that make use of EHRs’ potential and related to the improvement of quality, efficiency and patient safety in the healthcare system through the use of certified EHR technology.
- The HHS press release at:
- CMS fact sheets:
- CMS EHR Incentive Programs Page:
- ONC Meaningful Use Page:
- The "Meaningful Use" Regulation for Electronic Health Records (Blumenthal) :